Worship at Friendship Christian Reformed ChurchFriendship Christian Reformed Church offers, what we hope is, a blended worship service with preaching based on the Bible. See links to the side for additional information on a "typical" worship service and for information on our worship and music ministries.
A summary of our worship vision statement follows ...
The central focus is for our worship to be Christ-centered, welcoming and alive:
Christ-centered - As reformed Christians, we believe Jesus Christ to be the living Word which is proclaimed in worship, received in sacrament, and followed into the world.
Welcoming – From beginning to end, in everything we do, our worship is a response to the grace we have experienced in Jesus Christ. We are welcoming and hospitable to those who worship with us, our tone being affirming, celebrating, and not judging or shaming. We all play vital roles in worship, prompted and led by our worship leaders, encouraged to be actively involved, participatory. We welcome all age groups, seeking to be sensitive to the unique needs, interests and contributions of children, youth, seniors, singles, couples, and families.
Alive – Our worship provides an opportunity for a life-changing encounter with Jesus Christ. When we worship we are encouraged to be actively involved, not just passive observers of what happens ‘up front’. We give expression to our faith in different ways and with different gifts. The presence and movement of the Holy Spirit as we worship is mysterious yet real. Our worship is Spirit-filled.
Our worship is….
- Reformed - Our worship identifies with a particular history that gives meaning to our faith; basic patterns, forms, and rhythms of our worship are givens.
- Vital, dynamic, exuberant, and participatory – We give expression to our faith in different ways and with different gifts and are called to be more than passive observers.
- Inclusive of all ages – Each age group is held in equal importance from youngest to oldest. Children, youth, families, singles, and older adults should feel part of a larger church family, drawn to worship through a fresh and varied pace that is significant and meaningful.
- Provisional – We are encouraged to use our gifts of creativity and imagination, seeking ways to worship that are fitting for our church and faithful to God. Not all attempts will be successful or long lasting. Our worship will be perfected only in the glorious celebration of the life to come.
- A time of grace – In worship we strive to give expression to the grace we have felt in Jesus Christ. We are always finding ways to make visible and real the unconditional love and acceptance of Jesus Christ.
- Provides a life-changing encounter with Jesus Christ – Our worship is most successful when worshippers sense the presence and power of Jesus Christ and are changed in significant and dramatic ways because of it. Worship must lead people into the presence of Jesus Christ where they can be changed by Him.